About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Software: Same Program, Different Computers

MacBook Pro and Dell Latitude
Photo: by WDFloyd's iPhone


I've been working on a new screenplay idea, and I like to work on screenplays using Final Draft.  While checking the Final Draft site to find out about options for transferring my user license over to my new MacBook Pro, I discovered that Final Draft's publisher will allow users to operate Final Draft on two computers at any given time.  So, instead of deleting Final Draft from my Dell Latitude after installing said program on my Mac, I now have it set up on both systems.

Inspired by the prospect of cheaply loading up my Mac with copies of software I've already bought, I made a quick visit to the Adobe site to see about Acrobat X Pro and Photoshop Elements 8.  Turns out if you are the primary user of an Adobe product, under your license you can add a copy to a home or portable computer so long as you don't operate them simultaneously; however, said provision only applies to using the same platformed version of the software from work on your home or portable system.  Or, put another way: you can only extend the license from a work Windows OS to another Windows OS or a Mac OS to another Mac OS.   If you are like me, with a PC of some sort for your office (which although is a laptop, is docked and basically functions like a desktop) and then a portable Mac, you cannot use your already purchased Adobe product on the Mac platform (and, vice versa).  If I want to run my Acrobat X Pro or Photoshop Elements 8 on my MacBook, then I'll have to set up the parallel Windows platform and run it through that.   [note: if you have a Mac and you want to run an Adobe product on the Mac side and on the PC, you will need a separate program with separate license for each platform on your one computer

Anyway, these are things to keep in mind if you're a dual PC and Mac user.

No comments: