About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Food (in Dallas): Bob's Steak and Chop House

I went up to Dallas for a seminar entitled Risky Business: Financing and Distributing Independent Films.  It was a great way to spend Saturday, as I learned a lot about film financing, distribution, and the independent film ecosystem from the lecturer, entertainment lawyer Mark Litwak.  However, the night before the seminar was pretty awesome as well.  I took off from my office about 4p, and a few hours later found myself at the uptown Dallas location of Bob's Steak and Chop House

Damn, this place is good.  I met my friend, fellow lawyer, and fellow steak enthusiast David C. at the bar.  We were shortly led to a table in a traditional looking steakhouse room (e.g., lots of wood, and lots of cool photos like a huge portrait of the famous horse trainer Bob Baffert).   Unlike The Palm, wherein being a frequent guest can earn you a caricature on the wall, I immediately begin to wonder if only famous guys named Bob were eligibly for honor at Bob's Steak and Chop House.  Then the shrimp plate arrived and I quit caring.  On said plate were several huge shrimp, including one pair slathered in some especially tasty remoulade sauce  (Austin Land and Cattle, take note: up your game with the shrimp appetizers!).   But, the shrimp with a mere opening act to an extremely delicious 22oz, USDA Prime bone-in-ribeye (which the website claims to have been aged 28 days, although I didn't see any specific info about whether the beef  dry aged, grass fed, or free range).   The menu called said steak the "Cote de Boeuf," and the waitress said it was the best steak in the house*. 

Because I have no basis for comparison, I have no idea if the "Cote de Boeuf" is truly the best steak at Bob's.  But, if it's at the bottom of the list, then the rest of their lineup must be pretty awesome.  My steak was great: good thickness, good marbling, excellent flavor, and excellent preparation.   The skillet fried potatoes were a good side choice, although I had to pass on the giant carrot with which my steak was served.   The creamed corn side, however, wasn't particulaly good (and a real let down, if you love Rudy's creamed corn).  Also, Bob's doesn't have Bearnaise sauce, and I love some Bearnaise with beef. 

If you're going to Bob's here's what I can recall vis a vis pricing:

Steaks (including the "signature glazed carrot" and a potato dish variant)

-regular ribeye: about $33
-bone in 22oz ribeye: about $45

Sides

-creamed corn, mushrooms, spinach: all about $8

Appetizers

-shrimp variety plate: about $22


Salads

-all appeared to be about $7-$9

Cocktails

-about $12 with Maker's Mark (but very, very generous pours).

 If you are in Dallas, I recommend Bob's Steak and Chop House.  It is indeed awesome, and I've eaten enough steaks to feel qualified in bestowing such a designation. 



*Although, suspiciously, she said that about everything I ordered... down to the relatively ordinary Makers Mark cocktail.  The funniest thing our waitress said was in reference to the giant carrot.  I exclaimed, "damn, that is one giant carrot!" She gave me and my friend a naughty look and replied, "depends on how you look at it... I think it's just right."  Too focused on steak to process her suggestive food references, I plunged into the tasty ribeye.  Later, I was even more amused by her comments when I recalled another suggestive vegetable ad seen on I-35E.

No comments: