About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Boating: Switching Lakes





video: my boat's final forklift ride at Riviera Marina

Like the Knight Rider TV series, all good things must come to an end. But, as with Baywatch, you can often find elements of said defunct good thing reappear in better, long running, and more attractive packages (warning: if you are going to watch the Baywatch opening, it is much better to do so with the sound off).

First of all, don't hassle the Hoff. And second, although my boat left Riviera Marina (located on lovely Lake Travis) yesterday, it's moving to the more fun and more convenient Lake Austin. Considering that I don't like Devil's Cove, I prefer Hula Hut to Carlos 'n Charlies, and I appreciate any marina that is a ten minute drive from my residence, I think the Lake Austin move is going to work out quite well.

There is the question of night boating, which was my favorite passtime of the summer of 2008. Night boating (see photo above, of my boat waiting to go out)is exactly what it sounds like, and is a great way to spend a summer evening on Lake Travis. I'm not sure how and if night boating works on Lake Austin. I'm not saying that day boating is bad, but rather that night boating is just plain awesome. We all have our fingers crossed that it will work under the new arrangement, if for no other reason than no one wants to feel pressured to leave Hula Hut before sunset.

[note: although I was ready to move off of Lake Travis, this had nothing to do with Riviera Marina. They were always very cool and they took good care of the boat. Also, the boat mechanic at Riviera was reasonably priced and provided good service. If you want to be on Travis, check out Riviera Marina]