About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Friday, April 10, 2020

How Does 2012 mac mini perform in 2020

It was interesting to watch this video about the virtues of the Late 2012 Mac Mini, as I have been using one since March of 2013.  And by using one, I mean this is my workhorse home office computer which gets used about 5-6 days per week.  It's been the best value I've ever obtained from a computer (I spent about $900 on it 7 years ago).  At this point, I plan to keep using it until it can't take any upgrades or it becomes obvious a new Mac Mini needs to be procured.

Anyway, watch keep going and watch the video if you are curious about Mac Mini longevity (or bored, because of COVID-19 related cabin fever):




Note on the differences between mine and the one in the video:


  • Video Mac Mini: has Catalina (the latest OS), 8GB ram, a 256GB SSD hard drive, and an i5 dual core processor.
  • My Mac Mini: older OS (but may go to Catalina soon), a 1TB conventional hard drive, and an i7 dual core processor.


Note on how mine is functioning:


  • I have noticed, of late, that the MS Office 2016 apps are starting to act a little weird.  At some point I am going to upgrade to Catalina and Office 2019.  What I haven't assessed yet is which of my usual programs are 32 bit and won't function in the Catalina OS.   I imagine I will have to subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud and pay for a few other upgrades after going to Catalina.  However, in general the computer works well and gets the business/personal/creative work jobs I need done.    

[Update: As of December 2020, the old Mac Mini was finally retired and replaced with the 2020 Mac Mini sporting the new M1 processor.]



No comments: