About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Public Transit




I'm happy to see that Austin's MetroRail is finally in service. It is certainly a step in the right direction. If I lived in Leander and worked downtown I'd probably ride it. However, since I don't and don't, there is not going to be much Red Line use in my near future.

Having used public transit on both coasts and in various states between, I can easily say that may favorite form of railed transportation is the St. Charles streetcar line in New Orleans. So, in case you are wondering:

-Is it modern?
A: No, absolutely not. Moreover, I don't even think it's air-conditioned. The cars have been in service almost continuously since 1923-24.

-Is it practical?
A: I have no idea. I rode it from Canal Street to Emeril's DelMonico, not exactly the most frequent or practical route for commuters.

-Is it just for tourists?
A: While there were a lot of tourists on it, I did see some very authentic looking people as well. But fear not, as I didn't see anyone I thought had the authentic desire to stab me and my friends. In fact, it was much safer than the bar our busboy at DelMonico recommended.

-What then places the streetcar at the top of my list?
A: The streetcars are so old school they seem surreal. Seriously, these things look awesomely retro as the cruise around NOLA amongst modern vehicles. They have this deco-modern look which was probably seen as high tech and futuristic back in the 20's. Unlike the trolleys of San Francisco, though, they don't seem cute (maybe it's the lack of an associated rice product and it's national advertising). And, like NOLA, a city which seems to age at its own slow pace, they look ancient compared to the people and the cars in the street, but kind of at home as they cruise past the old buildings and then the historic homes of the garden district. They've survived all sorts of disasters and still keep running. So, we'll give it the label of "character."


All of the above being said, I would prefer that Austin stick with climate controlled, laptop friendly railed transportation.