About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Destinations: Wrigley Field











photos: outside of Wrigley field; classy Cubs merch; the A's and the Cubs on the field video: the 7th Inning Stretch, with vocals by drunken Cubs fans in the bleachers


There are some places you've wanted to visit since you were in 3rd grade. Some of them, like the Airwolf cave, sadly can't be visited. Other places, like Chicago's Wrigley Field, welcome you with open arms as long as you have $50 cash and/or a functioning American Express card. And, unlike the average 3rd grader, I was able to more thoroughly enjoy my trip to Wrigley by sitting in the famous bleachers (as seen in Ferris Bueller's Day Off).

I'm not a very serious sports fan, so take that into consideration when you read this: visiting Wrigley Field is an awesome experience and I highly recommend it to anyone. Seriously, I don't know what they add to the beer but I had an exceptional amount of fun watching the Cubs and A's play an afternoon game. I wasn't a fan of either team when I walked in the door, but the Cubs' charm had sucked me in by the third inning (sorry A's, I still don't care about your team). [note: while I was with the gf, a Cubs fan, the Cubs wooed me as an individual]

A latent interest in the Cubs and visit Wrigley probably had something to do with the introduction of the WGN cable channel into my house during the above referenced 3rd grade time period and the aforementioned inclusion in the Ferris Bueller plot. However, I'm pretty sure it was the historic stadium and the relaxed, fun crowd which amped up the fun. It turns out that baseball is better watched in a smaller, brick walled, ivy covered, jumbotron-less stadium which is located in the middle of a nice neighborhood with a lot of bars.

I had heard from certain people (including but not limited to the gf and a certain trivia host) a lot of extreme statements about the awesomeness of Wrigley. I chalked this up to the bias of former Chicago residents. I was indeed wrong. I had been off the plane six hours when I decided the trip to Wrigley was indeed as awesome as advertised.

Drinking a couple of beers, eating amazingly delicious hot dogs, and watching an afternoon Cubs game is a great way to spend a Thursday afternoon. You must do this if you're in Chicago during baseball season.

No comments: