About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Outdoor: Stand Up Paddling ("SUP")

[photos (by WDFloyd): Kayaking and SUPing on Town Lake]


by WDFloyd



Earlier this week, I went down to Town Lake in order to do some kayaking. Unlike my last kayaking excursion, I didn't see any gators in the vicinity. I did, however, see my older brother's Stand Up Paddle ("SUP") boards nearby. Thus, I decided to learn how to SUP. Both of his boards were made by Hobie, a company well known for traditional surfboards and catamarans. I opted for the more stable lake model (as opposed to the SUP board designed for actual ocean surfing).

While the technique of SUPing isn't difficult to pick up, the act of SUPing is not necessarily easy. Ok, if you haven't worked out much lately it isn't easy. However, it is a lot of fun. And, it's also great exercise. Your legs have to work in order to stay balanced, your core works to keep you anchored to the board and to transfer power, and obviously your arms are doing the paddling.

Once you are on the board and upright then you paddle with fairly straightforward stokes, alternating sides as necessary. You don't have to use and sweeping or feathering motions, as you would in canoe paddling. On a flat surface like that of Town Lake, you basically glide over the water with little resistance. It's quite novel to float standing across the lake, and you will get a few questions from passing boaters. While I didn't fall off the board, there is a decent chance that one will; ergo, prepare accordingly for falling into the water.

I enjoyed my first foray into SUP. I will undoubtedly SUP again. If you're looking for a fun and different for of exercise, I recommend trying it.

Hobie SUP boards run from $800 up. If you want to try SUPing without much of a cash outlay, then you can contact SUP ATX about board rentals (and, they are sell their own brand of boards). If SUP ATX seems familiar, then you've probably seen the step van they frequently park in front of the RunTex at Lake Austin Blvd and MoPac.

No comments: