About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Friday, February 22, 2019

Food: Top Notch

The #5 from Top Notch


I was at ABOR headquarters all morning for a meeting.  As I drove out of the garage I thought, hey, today is a great day for a Top Notch burger.   Thus a slight detour was made.

Everyone I know who likes Top Notch talks about the fried chicken and how amazing it is.  I wouldn't know, as I stick with the #5 chili-cheese burger.  First of all, I love a good chili-cheese burger.  Second, Top Notch's reminds me of the #4 Fiesta Burger from the former Austin institution that was Holiday House (I'm not making this up: they had a live gator at the Barton Springs location back in the 70's).  Unfortunately, the notorious "Meat Lady" non-renewed the lease for the Tarrytown location and the Holiday House chain died shortly thereafter.  Holiday House was not only only a place I frequented in high school, the #4 Fiesta Burger was the first thing I ate when I moved to Austin (30 years ago, as of next week).   I'm digressing a bit, but it was a delicious piece of flame-kissed goodness I still miss.  Accordingly, this illustrates why I enjoy any burger which approximates the Fiesta Burger.  That is what I get at Top Notch and why I have yet to advance to the fried chicken.

So yes, the detour was worthwhile.  The #5 was delicious as always.  Now,  if Top Notch would just consider getting a live gator...

Not only is the food at Top Notch great, but is it also a fun place for fans of the film Dazed and Confused to visit.  In addition to being at the location of several scenes from the film, one can enjoy an up-close viewing of two paddles from the movie.     



One final bit of Top Notch news:  they are opening another restaurant in Hutto.   No Dazed and Confused connection, but I'm sure the burgers and fried chicken will be tasty.



On the chili-cheese burger note, here are two other restaurants with good options in Austin:

Hopdoddy once had an awesome burger called The Terlingua (topped with chili, cheese, and Fritos) but it seems to have vanished from the menu.  I'm fond of the Buffalo Bill and all, but bring the Terlingua back.  

No comments: