About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Music: The Eagles



[photos (by me, from the iPhone): stage prepares for The Eagles as the final act of 2010's ACL Festival; sunset over the waiting crowd in Zilker Park]

There's not much I can say about the music of The Eagles. It's been very popular, for a very long time. You probably are quite familiar with at least 75% of the songs they played as the closing act of this year's ACL Festival. However, if you are curious as to whether the band has still got their mojo, the answer is: yes!

Everyone I've with whom I've discussed the 10-10-10 show was blown away by how good The Eagles still are, and how great Sunday's performance was. The Eagles may look old, but they sound like it's still 1975. Their ACL ending show was well worth the effort of getting through ACL (and then out of it, along with the thousands of other folks headed toward Austin High).

The set was two hours long, and featured basically every Eagles hits except "Tequila Sunrise." The only song I hadn't heard before was "Long Road Out of Eden," a topical political number about excess, war, and the encroachment of empire. That was the mid point of the show, which was followed by more upbeat songs from their album of hits.

I'd like to note that seeing Joe Walsh sing "Life's Been Good" in person is pretty damn hilarious.

The 10-10-10 Eagles show was the second I've seen, the other being their 1995 Hell Freezes Over show at Memorial Stadium. My vantage point this time was vastly improved, as I could actually recognize the band members from where I stood (as opposed to last time, when I was in the end-zone seats at Memorial).

If you can catch The Eagles on tour, I highly recommend going.

No comments: