About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Software: Things Isn't Syncing

A few months ago, I decided to try a couple of productivity programs.  I picked Things for Mac and OmniFocus, as they both seemed very appealing for slightly different reasons (they are both based on the Getting Things Done, "GTD", system).   I put a each program on my MacBook Pro, and then downloaded the corresponding apps to my iPhone 3GS and iPad2.   After a few months of use, I found that Things was great for single task entries (business, personal, and volunteer related) while OmniFocus was better suited to business related task lists related to larger projects.   This wasn't surprising, as the descriptions of the products indicated that this would be the case.  OmniFocus is cool, and I'll post about it another time.  Today I'd like to air my issue with Things.

What really got me hooked on Things was the ability to whip out my iPhone and write a note to myself.  E.g., I'd be at a happy hour and someone would ask me for something, so I'd put an entry in Things.  Furthermore, I often have my iPad out during meetings, and if a task I wanted to assign myself came up I'd enter it into Things for iPad.  I would then sync Things between the iPhone and iPad and MacBook (to do this, you have to open things on your Mac and then open the Things app on the device you want to sync).  What I found was that while I would enter tasks into Things on the mobile devices, I would actually sit down with the Mac to execute the list.  I got used to this system.  My productivity spiked.  And then, the damn thing stopped syncing.

I don't know what has happened, but for the past few weeks every time I have opened Things for the iPhone it reports a failed sync and then crashes.  The iPad is just as uncooperative, and after the iOS5 update (which erased all of my apps) Things is empty and it won't sync.   I have looked into the problem, and I can't tell if it's an upgrade issue with iOS5.  I have Lion on my MacBook and iOS5 on the iPad.  I'm going to buy an iPhone 4S instead of putting iOS5 on my current phone.  But, regardless of the lack of iOS5 on the phone, I have installed all of the current upgrades across devices and checked settings.  Things still isn't working.

So, all I can tell you is that Things for Mac rocks in conjunction with Things for iPhone and iPad.   If you are distracted by constantly having to deal with business issues, Things is like a trusted personal assistant. But, Things as a stand alone on each platform doesn't do much for me.  I'm putting tasks I think of while out of the office onto OmniFocus sometimes, but more often than not I'm just writing myself reminders in Evernote.  Once Things sorts out the syncing or I figure out the solution, I'll post about it.  In the mean time, I'd recommend OmniFocus or Evernote for personal productivity over Things.