About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Travel: iFly for iPhone

(photos by Dave Floyd) 

I like the convenience of flying enough to overcome the fact that I don't like riding on airplanes or being in airports.  I fly multiple times per year for business and personal travel.  I've found that good food and plentiful cocktails make these trips much more pleasant experiences. 

I sometimes fly on American (it is the gf's favorite airline); however, most of the time I fly on Southwest. I'm not sure why... maybe it's out of admiration for successful lawyers-turned-entrepreneurs.  The unfortunate side effect of my loyalty to Southwest Airlines is that most of my trips include a lot of pit stops at airports around the country.



Enter the iFly app for iPhone.  At first I hated this app, but only out of jealousy.  I had actually written down an idea for a remarkably similar product only to find out a week later that it actually existed.  I downloaded it to check out the interface.  I then left it ruefully alone on my iPhone, where it remained untouched until I ended up in the Denver airport with my friends Andy and Bobby.

We were engaged in a spirited debate about whether to eat at one of the restaurants in the food court, or to venture through the security checkpoint towards Concourse C.  I wanted a steak or a buffalo burger along with a cocktail, and nowhere in the food court appeared to be able to satisfy said craving.  The airport map named eateries, but offered no explanation.  It was at this point I decided to shelve my angst about iFly and actually use it.

iFly is actually very cool, and very useful.  Not only did I get a map of the Denver airport, I also was able to check out restaurants in our destination concourse and to get information about the food.  Furthermore, I was able to quickly locate a bar near the departure gate.  My problem was solved, and soon I was enjoying a buffalo burger along with a cocktail.  Now I like iFly too much to ignore it from jealously, and I recommend it to friends. 

Your travel priorities may not be the same as mine.  Thus, here's a comprehensive list of features for iFly (basic):

-Restaurants, Cafes, Stores, Lounges, Restrooms
-Terminal Maps with GPS location (as available)
-Airline details (numbers, route maps, baggage fees, etc)
-Layover ideas
-Wifi coverage
-Ground transportation options
-Parking rates and locations
-Terminal services (banks/ATMs, business centers, currency exchange, etc) Plus: tons of traveler help tips, like carry-on/checked baggage allowance rules, airport security ID requirements, traveling with kids or pets, and help on everything from packing to parking to checking bags.
iFly Pro is ($6.99 at the iTunes app store) is available with additional features.  With comprehensive information about over 700 airports, it's a handy mobile app to have available.