About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Food: Shoal Creek Saloon Pork Chop

Pork Chop Dinner @ Shoal Creek Saloon
If there is anything you can deduce from this blog, it's that I like pork products.  I also love beef, although I don't think I've been as outspoken about my love of steak, beef ribs, and brisket in any online fora.

After putting up posts about the pork chop at Perry's Steakhouse & Grille and at The Texas Chili Parlor, I was informed that no survey of pork in downtown Austin is complete without a sampling of said dish at the Shoal Creek Saloon.

I'm already a fan of the Saloon.  I like their étouffée, boiled shrimp, and gumbo.  I especially like to enjoy these items while on the Saloon's back porch (which, appropriately, overlooks Shoal Creek).  And, of course, when crawfish are in season one should make a b-line for the Saloon in order to partake of their delicious boils.

The pork chop at Shoal Creek Saloon is good.  It's juicy and nicely seasoned.  It is one of their signature items (I know this from the mural painted on the side of the building).  I had never eaten one before the chop pictured above as I generally go to the Saloon for the Louisiana-style seafood.  Shoal Creek's pork chop isn't a challenge to one's manliness, like Perry's.  And, it isn't thin sliced for pan-frying, like the Chili Parlor's.  However, as a standard pork chop goes it's pretty damn tasty.

If you decide to get the pork chop at Shoal Creek Saloon, I recommend starting your meal with a cup or bowl of the étouffée.  You really shouldn't eat there without having some.

Note: Apparently, the National Pork Board's new consumer oriented motto for pork is "Pork: Be Inspired."  Pork's former motto, the famous "Pork: The Other White Meat" has been relegated to "heritage brand" status.  If they'd asked me, I would have offered up "Pork: It's Damn Delicious!" along with a "We Make Bacon... You're Welcome" companion website.