About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Thursday, October 6, 2022

Backpacking: Grand Canyon

 


I realize I'm a little overdue in writing my planned Grand Canyon guide, so I'll be brief with today's point.  If you have been preparing to hike in the Grand Canyon this Fall: prepare harder.  This advice is especially for people living in Texas or other places with landscapes lacking in verticality.   Hit the leg weights, hit the StairMaster (or as I call it, the "Stair Bastard"), and ride your bike.  If you are in Austin, load up a pack and hike up one of our larger hills multiple times multiple times per week.  Do this in the boots you plan to wear.  Trust me, you'll thank me for this later.  

Some examples of good hills in Austin are (included but not limited to): the Hill of Life (end of the Barton Creek Greenbelt trail), the hill on Mesa Dr. from 2222 up to the top, or Far West from Bull Creek up to Mesa.  


No comments: