About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Travel: Free WiFi at HOU Hobby

[photo: by WDFloyd]

Normally, my posts about airports have to do with bar hours (usually their restrictive nature).  Last night I was stuck at Houston Hobby from about 5:45-10pm.  Finding a bar was not a problem, however free WiFi wasn't as abundant.   According to my questioning and subsequent experience, free WiFi is available at:

              1. Buffalo Wild Wings
              2. Pappas Burgers*
Otherwise, you are stuck with payed WiFi via Boingo.  Not only is Boingo not free, but in my experience it has left annoying program stubs on my Windows based systems.  It is, however, available throughout the Hobby terminal. 

Of course, one can argue that the WiFi at one of the above referenced establishments isn't free because you buy food or drink in order to justify your stay there.  While this is arguably true, it's kind of moot to me as I'd be in a bar if I were stuck in an airport regardless.  If you're going to be crammed into a flying tube with 120 strangers, it helps to prepare with a pre-flight cocktail.  


*Note: the free WiFi worked when I arrived, but was cut off at some point after 9:30.

No comments: