About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mobile: Mophie Juice Pack Air




Until SXSW, I had never before owned an iPhone case.  I thought they were silly, and that they added needless bulk to the phone.  Then, while watching A Place to Bury Strangers, my friend Emily demonstrated the virtues of the Mophie Juice Pack Air: an iPhone case with an integrated battery.  Considering that I'd been on foot much of the day and concerned about conserving my iPhone's battery power, said case seemed like an exceptionally good idea.  I bought one at the SXSW trade show the next day.

After using the Mophie for a battery boost the following day: I like it!

The Mophie Juice Pack Air doesn't add much size to your iPhone (and it actually makes the iPhone easier to hold), and when your iPhone is low on power you simply flip the Mophie's switch and let it's integrated battery recharge the one in your iPhone.  Furthermore, you can directly charge and/or sync the iPhone while it's in the Mophie.  I'm not sure about charging the Mobile while in your car (you'd need a charger with a micro-USB head), but this is kind of a moot point for me considering that I only use the Mophie when I'm going to be away from a car or wall charger for a while.

While the Mophie was great for SXSW, I've also found it quite useful for cycling.  I've been recording my cycling routes through the Map My Ride mobile app.  As you can imagine, the constant GPS location signals sap power from my iPhone 3Gs.  And, I don't particularly want to end up with a dead phone while out on one of my night rides.   The reserve power of the Mophie is a welcome addition to my collection of cycling gadgets.   And, of course, I'm sure the Mophie will be great for long days of air travel.

You can get a Mophie Juice Pack Air for $50 (iPhone 3G and 3Gs) or $80 (iPhone 4G).  There are some other models available, which you can check out at the aforelisted link.

No comments: