About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Everything You Need to Know to Hike Guadalupe Peak - The Texas State Hig...


Check out this informative video about hiking to the top of Guadalupe Peak, the highest point in Texas.  I made it to the top back in 2007.  I had planned a return trip to the top during my last trip to Guadalupe Mountains National Park, but I ended up spending my hiking day on the Bowl Loop (with side trip to the top of Hunter Peak) which ended up being a great time.  I'll post about that hike at some point, in addition to more about my trips to the park.

In case you are heading out that way now, here are some tips:
  • Pine Springs campground is first come/first serve.  Also, the tent sites are hard (too hard for my stakes).  Come prepared to tie your tent down to rocks.  
  • Pack in all of your food.  The park's gift shop may sell a few snacks, but the nearest places to Pine Springs campground where you can buy actual food are Van Horn and Carlsbad.  If you are on the western side of the park, there is a store (with pizza) in Dell City.
  • Drink lots of water.  This is the desert and your body will lose a lot of water even when it is cool outside.
  • Download the Hiking Project app, if you haven't already.  It works offline, so when your phone is in airplane mode or in a no service area the map will still tell you where you are.  
  • Don't expect to find electric outlets.  In addition to using your car's charger, bring charging packs if you have them.  
That's all I have to say for now, other than I highly recommend a trip out to this fantastic part of Texas.  

No comments: