About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Power Inverter to Tap Yard Tool Batteries


Do you have 40v Ryobi yard tools?  Great.  It turns out you can pull power out of those batteries in a blackout (or, more positively, whilst camping) with the 300w power inverter for 40v batteries.

A month ago, I was enjoying day 3 of the "rolling" blackout in my neighborhood.  After the blackout, we decided to add a few items to our disaster kit.  During the blackout, one of my brothers had stopped by (in his 4x4) in order to drop off a few chargers.  Included in the charger bundle were a couple of Ridgid 18v batteries with USB charging adapters.  These were great for our phones (and better than running the car to charge them) but unable to help the laptops.  

We decided it would be good to be able to tap power from the tool batteries I have out in the garage.   One of the battery systems I have is the Ryobi 40v for my mower and weed eater,  thus the procurement of the above mentioned/pictured power inverter.   I wouldn't have bought this and a 40v battery on their own, but since I have 2 (and probably more soon) 40v batteries at the house the inverter seemed like a good accessory to add to the mix.  It would be frustrating to deal with another blackout and not be able to use all of the batteries in the house as reservoirs of electricity for our electronic devices (and, I will probably pack this on my next camping trip).  

Below is a chart of what it will and will not power, as well as how many phone/tablet/laptop recharges you can get from each size battery:






If you have another brand of yard tools with interchangeable batteries, check to see if an inverter is available.  I checked and EGO has them.  Other systems may have them as well.  

No comments: