About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Food: Pork Chops in Austin

Pork Chop Plate @ Texas Chili Parlor
Reading this blog, you may think that bacon is the only pork product that I love.  This belief could not be farther from the truth.  I love ham, Canadian bacon, pork ribs,  and pork chops as well.  Last week, I made the excellent decision of meeting a friend at Perry's Steakhouse in order to enjoy the Pork Chop Friday lunch special for which the restaurant is known amongst circles of pork fans.  For about $12, you get a massive pork chop cut into three distinct parts: the "eyelash," several ribs, and the loin.  The eyelash is the most tender and flavorful cut, the ribs are a close second, and the loin is less tender and fat infused but is still succulent (add applesauce, of course, for extra flavor).   The lunch sized serving is huge, and I've heard that the dinner portion is even larger.  I don't know yet... I'm a little intimidated by any serving of pork which is larger than the pork chop lunch special.  I can only imagine that if I consumed the entire alleged pork chop dinner, then I'd need to stumble over to the Stephen F. Austin Hotel to sleep off the inevitable meat coma.  Not that this sounds like a bad way to spend an evening; I just haven't yet risen to the challenge 

Pork is on my mind because last night I enjoyed The Texas Chili Parlor's delicious pork chop dinner.  Famished after tech rehearsal for Bar & Grill: Double Feature, I stopped by the TCP before heading to Dogwood to meet the gf.  The TCP serves a sweet, tender, and juice grilled pork chop for about $9.  You get two thin cuts of pork (this lets the flavor get seared in nicely) which are tasty enough to not need any sauce.  The plate comes with rice and beans, but I decided to swap the fancy sides for a more appropriate serving of potato chips.  It turns out that Ruffles and pork chops complement each other quite well.  Potato chips benefit by soaking up some pork juices, and the salt from the chips adds a little zest to the meat.  Plus, the disturbed looks from witnesses to this meal only enhance the experience.  Most people don't expect to see this sort of combination outside of a truck stop in the Deep South.

Now that I'm on a roll with pork, the pork chop special at Shoal Creek Saloon is next on the list.