About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cycling: Follow Up On Brake Issue

My Burnt Orange Gary Fisher Cobia
Back in August, I wrote a post about the hydraulic brake system* on my Gary Fisher mountain bike and how the brakes were prone to locking up during summer rides.  In said post, I mentioned that the mechanic with whom I spoke at the Bicycle Sport Shop was of the opinion that the fluid in the lines for my hydraulic brake system was expanding because of the summer heat (which, you will recall, was often in excess of 105 degrees during August 2011).  Considering that the brakes would unlock when placed in the air conditioning of my apartment or another building, I assumed that the mechanic was probably right but that I'd have to wait until after the summer to test things out.  I put the mountain bike into my storage unit and focused on my road bike (roads can be ridden at night, trails cannot).

I've recently pulled my mountain bike out of storage and begun to ride it around central Austin.  Within the past month, I've also taken it onto the Shoal Creek trail and into the Barton Creek Greenbelt.  There have been no issues with the brakes locking up while riding in pleasant temperatures.  It seems logical that the problem with the brakes was caused by the heat.  What interests me now is the temperature at which the brake system becomes subject to failure.


*My mountain bike is a 2010 model Gary Fisher (which is made by Trek) Cobia that has on it the stock ProMax hydraulic brakes and ProMax Hornet brake levers.