About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Outdoor: Fly Fishing

WDF Fly Fishing in the Big Thomson River
Recently, while going through my desk at Prism Risk Management, I found the business card of Mike Oatley, a fishing guide I recommended for fly fishing in Rocky Mountain National Park.  In August 2010, I went to Estes Park with a couple of friends and we hired Mr. Oatley as a guide (both for general fly fishing instruction as well as fish finding services).  I subsequently caught a couple of brook trout in the Big Thompson River.  In August 2011, we returned to the Big Thompson but this time decided to skip hiring a guide (not because we didn't like Mike, but probably because we were allocating the dinero for microbrew trips).  While my casting and fly equipment handling skills are much better than in 2010, I had no luck finding any fish.  Not even a flash or a rise.  I did, however, come across some guide trips while working the river.  They appeared to be having more success than me.  Next time I'm in Colorado, as a still novice fly fisherman, I'll be hiring a guide in order to work the local rivers and for advice on flies.