About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Risk: Fat Raccoons

What a fat raccoon does to a VW Passat
So.... before last month I never considered raccoons much of a risk while driving on the highway.  Deer?  Yes.  Elk? Yes.  But an animal the Wikipedia claims weighs between 6-20 lbs never seemed like a reason for concern.

Well, the incident which resulted in the pictured damage happened kind of fast and I didn't have a chance to weigh the raccoon which chose to intersect with my moving vehicle.  What I do know is that the raccoon at issue appeared to be enormous of not morbidly obese.  I probably wouldn't have hit it had I not been driving down a relatively dark stretch of US Highway 87 near Victoria.  The obese animal at issue waddled out of a darkened median at a surprisingly rapid pace.  I attempted to swerve, but hitting a fat raccoon seemed like a better plan than flying into a ditch at 70 MPH.  Moreover, he actually ran toward my car as I started to swerve.  Despite evasion maneuvers, there was no way to miss said raccoon.

End result: $2,500 worth of damage.

Yes, that is the correct amount.  When I picked up the car from the body shop, I was handed a laundry list of damage caused by reckless wildlife.  Not only did he cause the body damage pictured about, he also dislodged the radiator and the turbo's intercooler.  Fortunately for me, I carry the full package of insurance on my car and I was able to drive a company vehicle for a week while mine was repaired.

Take-aways from this experience:


  • Raccoons can seriously mess up your car.  Be alert for them.
  • A reminder that no repair is cheap for a Volkswagen Passat (I've had prior experiences with body damage to this car: all expensive)
  • State Farm was cool about paying for it.  I've gotten my money's worth from their collision coverage.
  • Ellis & Salazar again did great work at a fast pace.
  • It's really annoying for people to chastise you about hitting a sweet, innocent raccoon when you're looking at serious body damage to your car.  
  • It might be time for me to buy a Tahoe.