About WDFloyd

Dave Floyd is an attorney, real estate broker, and trivia host in Austin, Texas. He works with the Foskitt Law Office and is an owner of Floyd Real Estate. He was a candidate for Austin City Council in 2014 and lives in the Zilker Neighborhood.

Friday, February 7, 2020

Food: Lil'Doddy

About a year ago I posted about the delicious Buffalo Bill burger one can find at Hopdoddy (and paused to mourn the loss of the Terlingua burger).  I like Hopdoddy, but the two locations most convenient to me are typically packed with long lines at lunch.   Thus, today when I headed out for lunch I left with two questions:

  1. Will the line be ridiculous?
  2. How different is this place from a regular Hopdoddy? 
And here are your answers:

  1. No.  In fact, we were seated immediately and offered table service.  Score and score for a person who does not like lining up for food, let alone long lines. 
  2. As Eater Austin described Lil'Doddy, it is a "streamlined" version of the regular restaurant.  Differences I noted were a lack of bison patties and the presence of a drive-through.  The former was not a big deal and the latter seemed cool for people in the area neighborhoods.  You still get a nice selection of burgers and other items (including an ahi tuna burger, which looked great).  Also, there is plenty of beer on tap.
I also found the staff to be accommodating.   The menu offered a version of the Buffalo Bill with a chicken breast.  Normally I would have wanted this, but I have been eating a lot of chicken and turkey products this week.  Also, I woke up thinking about beef burgers.   It turns out, getting me a Buffalo Bill with beef (all natural Angus) was not a problem.  In fact, having a second patty added for good measure was not a problem either (I'm hitting the weights today, so of course I need more protein).  

The upshot is that lunch at Lil'Doddy was delicious and the time provided no problems for us vis a vis crowds.   

Now that I've shared about burgers, at some point I plan to discuss my last couple of trips to Hank's Austin.  That point is probably sometime next week.  Plus, there are a few trivia updates I've been meaning to write.  Stay tuned.

No comments: